Subject: crash of trivial program
From: [email-masked] (Johann Petrak)

6 Dec 1996 11:06:56 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.0 (X11; I; SunOS 4.1.3_U1 sun4m)
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-CC: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

I apologize for possibly asking a typical newbie question....
I have searched the mailing list archive and found several
similar questions, but not one answer.

I have installed the cygnus-2.7.2-960712 x86 release 
on a Windows95 Pentium  System.
 A simple "Hello world" program that uses streams
compiles and links without any warnings, but produces the 
following runtime error:

(test1.exe 1008) In cygwin_except_handler
(test1.exe 1008) Exception trapped!
(test1.exe 1008) exception C0000005 at 10032606
(test1.exe 1008) exception: ax 0 bx 479000 cx 20 dx 920804
(test1.exe 1008) exception: si 478088 di 100016A3 bp 6DF674 sp 6DF668
(test1.exe 1008) exception is: STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION
(test1.exe 1008) Stack trace:
(test1.exe 1008) frame 0: sp = 0x6DF480, pc = 0x10002A68
(test1.exe 1008) frame 1: sp = 0x6DF49C, pc = 0xBFF7663C
(test1.exe 1008) frame 2: sp = 0x6DF4C0, pc = 0xBFF859D9
(test1.exe 1008) frame 3: sp = 0x6DF558, pc = 0xFFECBAD7
(test1.exe 1008) frame 4: sp = 0x6DF674, pc = 0x410CB5
(test1.exe 1008) frame 5: sp = 0x6DF680, pc = 0x10001F32
(test1.exe 1008) frame 6: sp = 0x6DF68C, pc = 0x10001F66
(test1.exe 1008) frame 7: sp = 0x6DF694, pc = 0x40102F
(test1.exe 1008) frame 8: sp = 0x6DF6A8, pc = 0x10001EBB
(test1.exe 1008) frame 9: sp = 0x6DFE14, pc = 0x10001ECF
(test1.exe 1008) frame 10: sp = 0x6DFE20, pc = 0x41288C
(test1.exe 1008) frame 11: sp = 0x6DFE30, pc = 0x401012
(test1.exe 1008) frame 12: sp = 0x6DFE38, pc = 0xBFF88F75
(test1.exe 1008) frame 13: sp = 0x6DFF78, pc = 0xBFF88E23
(test1.exe 1008) frame 14: sp = 0x6DFFF4, pc = 0xBFF8783F
(test1.exe 1008) frame 15: sp = 0x81556550, pc = 0x5
(test1.exe 1008) End of stack trace (more stack frames may be present)

Trying the same with printf() instead of 'cout <<' works fine.
I admit that I am pretty new to both C++ and gnuwin32, so I may
have looked something stupid. 
I keep getting similar errors with C programs compiled with gcc.

All these programs compile and work fine on a Sun with G++ 2.6.3

Another thing: I have seen that previous emails refer to "demo"
programs that could/could not be compiled. Are the part of the 
gnuwin32 package (one.zip ... fize.zip)? The were not included
in the package I got.

I'll highly apreciate any help on this!

Johann Petrak                       Email: [email-masked]
Austrian Research Institute for AI  Phone:        +43-1-533-61-12/13
Schottengasse 3                     Fax:          +43-1-532-06-52
A-1010 Vienna, AUSTRIA              http://www.ai.univie.ac.at/~johann
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".