Subject: ps and kill
From: [email-masked] ("Ben Constable")

6 Dec 1996 09:27:25 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: <[email-masked]>
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Priority: 3
X-Mailer: Microsoft Internet Mail 4.70.1155
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Just used the mentioned utilities. Why is it that the cygnus utilities have
to have a different process number? When you run ps you get something like
this:

     PID     PPID  WIN32-PID   UID  COMMAND
    1000     1000         44   500 
c:\software\gnu\x86-cygwin32\H-i386-cygwin32\bin\bash.exe
    1001     1000        158   500 
c:\software\gnu\x86-cygwin32\H-i386-cygwin32\bin\ps.exe

Why do we have 1000 and 1001 instead of 44 and 158? Since there are already
utilities out there (such as those in the resource kit) which use these
numbers, it makes sense to stick with them. Any reason to not use
WIN32-PID's?

Also, when I run who, I get:

who: /var/run/utmp: No such file or directory

What kind of response is this? NT does not store user information in a file
called /var/run/utmp. Maybe if we wrote a device driver which mapped a file
of that name to a dump of current logged on users, it would work.

Also, when I alt-tab to a command window with bash running, I get a 'T'
entered into my window. Other people report similar things happening,
although each person seems to have a different letter. I have not yet seen
a reason for this on the list - is there an explanation?

While I am sending mail to the list, I would like to voice my opinion that
a project like this one will only start to work if two versions are made -
one for NT and one for 95. NT is too different to use the same source set.
What do people think of this?

Ben Constable
[email-masked]

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".