Subject: Re: Problems building dlls with cygwin
From: [email-masked] (David Essex)

5 Dec 1996 17:03:16 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
X-Sender: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: Windows Eudora Light Version 1.5.4 (32)
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Cc: "wiljan <[email-masked]> Colin Peters" <[email-masked]>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

At 07:52 PM 04/12/96 +0100, you wrote:

>Once more I whould like to report that I have big trouble building dlls
with b16.
>I first tried to build the dll using the dlltool from cygnus and I was not
able to get things working.
>....
>Does someone have an idea what is wrong with as, ld or dlltool.
It was working in b14 if both DLL and calling program was written using the
gnu-win32 compiler. 

>Has someone build dlls successfully and used them from another application.
I doubt it. I ran into the same problem trying to call DLL's written using
gnu-win32(b14) compiler from Delphi. They would compile but Delphi was
unable to load it. 
The problem relates to the standard or maybe lack of, for win32 DLL's.
Apparently DLL's compiled with say MS C/C++ will not work if they are called
by an application written using say Borland C/C++, and visa versa(1).
Work-arounds and issues relating to this problem are much to long to be
expanded on here but can be found in a magazine article(2) I recently read.
So what standard is the gnu-win32 ot the minimalist gnu-win32 using? Perhaps
I am showing my ignorance on this subject, but I think these are issues that
should be resolved, or at least expanded on.

Good luck !

David 

(1) (sigh... he says as the Macrosoft legacy continues ....when will the
pain end?) 
(2) Windows Developer's Journal, August 1996, "Building Win32 DLL's the
right way".  

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".