Subject: Mount point questions using bash
From: [email-masked] ("Bailey, Mark E")

4 Dec 1996 10:19:23 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <c=US%a=_%p=INTERGRAPH%l=[email-masked]>
Original-To: "'GNU-Win32'" <[email-masked]>
X-Mailer: Microsoft Exchange Server Internet Mail Connector Version 4.0.994.57
Encoding: 100 TEXT
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

All:

I  have an inter-operability problem that I am trying to solve using
bash.

Here is some background--

I am trying to access data on my NT machine that  actually resides on
a UNIX machine.  I have used one of our own (Intergraph's) products 
(DiskAccessNT) to achieve this.  DiskAccessNT will not mount the UNIX
directory structure to an existing NT directory structure (for example,
mounting to c:\enterprise\eif).  It mounts the UNIX directory to a new
drive
letter.  I assume this is because of the underlying differences in the
way
the two (operating systems) perform file system management.  So, with
that
background in mind, here is what I have done....

Used DiskAccessNT to mount a UNIX directory structure to F: on my NT 
machine.  Under F:, there is now a subdirectory called project.  I have
installed
bash on my NT machine under C:, so my root partition is mounted from C:
 .
Since the enterprise subdirectory is on C:, /enterprise/eif is a valid
bash 
subdirectory.

I have performed the following--

bash$ mount f:\\project /enterprise/eif/project
bash$ mount
Device           Directory           Type        Flags
f:\project       /enterprise/eif/project    native
no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\tape1:       /dev/st1            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\tape0:       /dev/st0            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\b:             /dev/fd1            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
\\.\a:             /dev/fd0            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
c:                    /                   native
no-mixed,text!=binary
bash$ cd /enterprise/eif
bash$ ls
custom		nt_projects		project		project.log
bash$ ls custom
ingr
bash$ ls nt_projects
Build3Test.prj
bash$ ls project
custom		nt_projects		project		project.log
bash$ cd project
bash$ ls
ATR.prj		BD3TEST		Build2Test.prj
Build3Test.prj	FTST			MARK
OSTEST	RasspDemo.prj		TEST2
TESTTWO	TII1			Test1Project.prj
cnv		dmmwkfl		project.log
bash$

You will notice that when the current directory was /enterprise/eif, the
ls project
command did not work correctly.  I had to cd into project in order to
obtain a 
listing of the files/directories within that sub-directory.  Is this
because underneath
it all, bash had to change drive letters (from C: to F:) in order to be
able to examine
the contents?  Could it not just reference the drive/directory
combination in place?

The reason I ask all this, is that my application that I ported from
UNIX to NT runs
within the bash environment.  The application is supposed to launch NT
tools 
(MS Office, etc.) on data residing within the /enterprise/eif directory
tree (even if
that data actually resides on a UNIX machine mounted to the NT machine
where
the application is executing).

In conclusion, I ask two questions--

1) Does anyone know of any product out there that would allow me to
mount
   a UNIX directory structure to an existing drive/directory on an NT
machine?  Or
   does NT's File Manager always force a mount to a new drive letter?

2) Can anyone help me solve my problem with the project directory using
bash?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

==================================================
Mark Bailey                                             PH: 205-730-3198
Enterprise Services Division                     FAX: 205-730-3301
Intergraph Corporation                   MAIL: [email-masked]
==================================================
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".