Subject: Re: tar and Windows 95
From: [email-masked] ("Kai Ruottu")

4 Dec 1996 06:34:27 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
Comments: Authenticated sender is <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
X-mailer: Pegasus Mail for Win32 (v2.42a)
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

> I tried to run the following command on my Windows 95 console under
> bash, and also from an MS-DOS prompt, using the beta-16 tools:
> 
>   tar -cvf /dev/fd0 my_directory_to_be_saved.
> 
> I got a "no such process" message.  Does anyone have any suggestions, or
> do you want more info?

  Should the Cygnus-tar work with raw diskettes at all?.... I think 
it will not (I have still Rel-14 in use)....

  An alternative GNU tar with floppy support is the DOS/OS2 - version 
from Hobbes-OS/2 archive, it is version 1.09, and the name is 
something like 'gnutar.zip' and resides under /unix/... in the 
archive....   This runs under DOS and NT (with forcedos), and gives 
the opportunity to move stuff in tar-format on floppies, even to use
multiple floppies to split a big file with the 'tar cM...' 
command....

 BTW. the DOS/OS2 tar doesn't support tapes and the only solution 
seems to be the win32tar from CICA or winsite... but this doesn't
support floppies, so we must now have two tars for Win32... unless
we use also the Cygnus tar for gzip'ed  files (these two can have
difficulties to use packed files...), so we perhaps need three of 
this kind...

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".