Subject: RE: ITIMER Implementation???
From: [email-masked] (Colin Peters)

4 Dec 1996 02:18:54 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Original-To: "'Jeremy Allison'" <[email-masked]>
Original-Cc: "'GNU-Win32'" <[email-masked]>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Jeremy Allison[SMTP:[email-masked]] wrote:
>the problem is that UNIX code expects that synchronous I/O
>will be interrupted when a signal occurs. Don't tell me it's
>bad, that's just the way UNIX code is written, and that's the
>way people using Cygwin32 will want it to work :-). Cygwin32
>is not currently MT-safe (that's another bunch of code :-).
>
>This is not possible on NT currently without me re-writing
>all blocking I/O in Cygwin32 to use asynchronous I/O under
>the covers and waiting on the handle and a separate event
>which the signal thread sets as 'signalled'. This is a lot
>of work, hence my statement.

It's even worse than that. Asynchronous I/O is not supported
under Windows 95. If you want it to work right under 95 (and
I for one really do want it to work under 95) and under NT
you are definitely in for some long nights ahead.

On the other hand, I just want to be able to compile code
that runs under 95, not necessarily use the Cygnus library,
so I have less problems with this. But I think I'm in the
minority there.

Colin.

-- Colin Peters - [email-masked]
-- Saga University Dept. of Information Science
-- Fundamentals of Information Science
-- http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/home.html

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".