Subject: Re: Sockets in gnu-win32
From: [email-masked] (David Makepeace)

2 Dec 1996 23:04:51 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: David Makepeace <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
X-Sender: [email-masked]
Original-To: Geoffrey Noer <[email-masked]>
Original-cc: Sergey Okhapkin <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

On Sun, 1 Dec 1996, Geoffrey Noer wrote:

> > As for me, the best solution is to export cygwin functions with normal 
> > names (without cygwin32_ prefix). If one choose to use WinSock, he will 
> > have to add -lwsock32 to gcc command line.
> > Sergey Okhapkin
> > Moscow, Russia
> 
> The problem with this is that if we export the cygwin functions without the
> cygwin32_ prefix in the dll, nobody can use WinSock while still using other
> functions in the dll (they'd get multiple definition problems at link
> time). As things stand, you can use the cygwin.dll and WinSock by
> undefining the mapping from cygwin32_foo to foo in the header files.

Would it be possible to change cygwin.dll to link to winsock.dll via
LoadLibrary() and GetProcAddress()?

This way cygwin.dll could export foo instead of cygwin32_foo, those nasty
#defines could go and there would be no problems with multiple
definitions.  If necessary, it would even be possible to use WinSock
directly (by putting it on the link line before -lcygwin) without any
problems - other than the usual WinSock problems.

David.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
David Makepeace   Ph:  +61 7 3378 4299
KEAYS Software    Fax: +61 7 3378 7922   [email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------------------

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".