Subject: RE: Default linker output filename
From: [email-masked] (Sergey Okhapkin)

26 Nov 1996 00:21:22 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Encoding: 21 TEXT
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Fredrik Roubert wrote:

>> How about to make a link from a.out to a.exe? Maybe even the "shortcut"
>> mechanism of Win95 be enough?
>
>Can't you just set up Windows 95 to recognize .out as an executable file
>extension? (Windows 3.1 can do this.)
>

The more common question - should we take in mind Windows 95 as developer's 
and cygwin32-supported platform? Do You like to press reset button every 
hour?-) Does we really need to search for work-arounds due to Windows 
95-specific bugs and misfeatures? For examle, link() syscall in cygwin.dll 
just copies file to another. Windows NT allows to use NTFS's hard links. 
CreateProcess() system call requires .exe extension under Windows 95, 
opposite to NT. You can't to enter non-US characters in bash under 95, but 
can with NT, etc...

Sergey Okhapkin
Moscow, Russia

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".