Subject: RE: "Not owner" error when using fork()
From: [email-masked] (David McNamara)

25 Nov 1996 09:34:49 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Encoding: 41 TEXT
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Ooopps...my mistake!

I found that I had my executable (we'll call it "xyz.exe") in the same 
directory as a shell script called "xyz".  Once I renamed the shell script 
everything worked fine.

David.

----------
From:  David McNamara[SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:  Friday, November 22, 1996 11:59 AM
To:  [email-masked]
Subject:  "Not owner" error when using fork()

I have been writing an application which requires the use of fork() (and
execve()) towards the end of the code.  But fork() always returns a
negative value and perror() reports "Not owner".

I have created a smaller test program to simply test the fork() and execl() 
functions, and this application works as expected.

I have tested both using beta 16 on both Windows 95 and Windows NT 3.51.

Any ideas??

Thanks,
David

PS  It does sound a little like the archived mailing list posting I found
entitled:
"problem with fork (as in make)" posted by Michel Dagenais
([email-masked]) on Wed, 31 Jan 96 08:28:08 EST, but there didn't 
appear to be any resolution to this problem.

--
 David G McNamara          (919) 677 8000        Host Systems R&D
 Testing Section           Extn. 4987            SAS Institute Inc.
 PCR&D Group                                     SAS Campus Drive
 [email-masked]        R3115                 Cary, NC 27513

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".