Subject: Re: one point (Was [Re: FW: Re: wxwin port])
From: [email-masked] (Sean McNeil)

19 Nov 1996 13:38:27 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]> (message from Doug
	Evans on Mon, 18 Nov 1996 17: 08:48 -0800)
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Doug,

> I don't believe this assessment can be correct.
> If GCC doesn't align structures [by default] the way the native compiler does,
> then that is a bug, end of story.

My $.02 on what I think you mean...

This has always been a portability issue and gcc never has to align
structures the way the native compiler (whatever that is for Win32)
does.  This is not _really_ a bug.  However, for the compiler to be
useful and to be able to call system routines, it better have the
include files defined in such a way that the structures are
equivalent.  In gcc, this would probably mean using some attribute or
pragma.

Practically speaking, this has not been required because gcc attempts
to do alignment the same way as is expected for a particular machine.
That is because it's easier to use the system includes than to have to
come up with new ones for each port.  For Win32, include files had to
be written, though, as the compiler must be purchased separately.  So,
just fix the includes :-)
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".