Subject: Re: newbie
From: [email-masked] ("Jim Taylor")

15 Nov 1996 07:47:08 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
Comments: Authenticated sender is <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-CC: [email-masked]
X-mailer: Pegasus Mail for Win32 (v2.42a)
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Hello,

 I am also a newbie, and am having trouble orienting myself into
just how to utilize GNU as a compiler for Windows programs. 
Basically, I want to utilize it to compile C++ programs for an
"almost free" C++ course I am taking via the internet.  I intend
to buy the Borland C++ 4.5 or 5.x (whatever) at the end of the
month (If I can get a deal on it.)  but this GNU concept
intrigues me so I will continue trying to understand it as well.

     I have not found any "Free" books on using C++ but 
something you might want to take a look at is the following;

ZD-NET, (Ziff Davis Publishing), the people who publish 
computing magazines such as Windows Magazine, Computer Shopper,
and at least a dozen other computer magazine has started
something entirely NEW in using the Internet for teaching
Computer related courses.  IT IS FREE UNTIL JANUARY OF 1997.
After that it is only $4.95 a month, which is almost free, to my
way of thinking.

 The GNU compiler works marvelously, (so far) for the 
programming examples so that area is covered.

 Right now ZDU  (ZD-Net's "ZD 'University' " are offering 
a course on C++ from scratch, via the internet and 
it has just this week re-started as they are working the bugs out
of the server, and if you hurry, you can probably en role.  The
URL for ZDU is the following; http://www.zdu.com/ give it a click
and see what you think.

 The course uses a book that is available in DOWNLOAD form
for $19.95, which again is quite reasonable.  The title of the
book is "TEACH YOURSELF C++ IN 21 DAYS", by Jesse Liberty. Mr
Liberty is also the instructor of the course.  As the course will
probably be over by January, if you enrolled right now, you would
end up with a free course.  

      You should also check out Collin Peters' site;
Minimalist GNU-Win32 at:
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/mingw32.html
for tips on using GNU in an easier form.  I haven't managed to
set it up the way he explains yet, but I am working on it.

    If you do find some free literature on C++ I would be 
interested in hearing from you.  Also, if you have set GNU up on
Win95 I would be interested in the details of how you did it. 
(I'm not quite satisfied that I've got mine set up the best way
yet.)

Regards

Jim Taylor  -  [email-masked]

> Date:          Wed, 13 Nov 1996 21:37:50 -0600
> From:          Darren Rauckman <[email-masked]>
> Reply-to:      [email-masked]
> To:            [email-masked]
> Subject:       newbie

> i am new to programming, and i was wondering if this is the
> right program to start with. Where can you find free books and
> stuff that tell you how to program with c++ any information
> would be appreciated
> 
> [email-masked]
> ...
> ...

--
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".