Subject: Less and termcap\terminfo
From: [email-masked] (Mansuriatus Shahrir Amir)

14 Nov 1996 20:11:08 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Original-To: "'GNU-Win32 Mailing List'" <[email-masked]>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

I have been for the past week trying to setup man on my my office Win95.
Per the instruction on Cygnus home page I've managed to get the whole=20
groff-1.10, ncurses compiled and seem to work okay.

However I am getiing problem running the compile less.exe using =
less-2.90.
I am only a newbie using Linux and when I set my TERM env variable in my =

..bashrc to ansi or another variant of ansi less.exe complains that my =
terminal
doesn't have backward scrolling capability. Less.exe will run but =
wahtever I'm
displaying scrolls right to the end and not stopping at every page as it =
works under Linux.

What I do was copy /etc/termcap and the whole /usr/lib/terminfo/*/* from =
my home Linux (RedHat 4.0) machine to the appropriate dir on my Win95.
Then I experiment by setting TERM=3Dlinux and TERM=3Dxterm. Both results
in less freezing bash (under Win95).

Anybody that has succesfully compiled less and run flawlessly care to =
tell
me what changes I need to do to make less do the paging. And what is =
your
/etc/termcap file looks like. BTW I do have ansi.sys installed.

TIA

---------------------------------------
Mansuriatus Shahrir Amir
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".