Subject: Re: Compiling MUCK Software...
From: [email-masked] (Jeremy Blackman)

14 Nov 1996 03:59:08 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
Original-To: Keet <[email-masked]>, Foxen <[email-masked]>
Original-cc: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

On Wed, 13 Nov 1996, Keet wrote:

>         I recently acquired some muck software called 'FuzzBall'. It's a
> varient of the TinyMU* software. The author says he's developing the source
> under Slackware96, and we've been trying to compile it under Win95 using
> GNU-Win32. We get numerous wanrnings of 'Making pointer out of integer
> without cast', and a few other various ones, but in the end we compile it
> and it looks as though it's running when started up. We have noticed a few
> problems though. Instead of allowing multiple users online like a MU*
> should, it only allows one. Also, the author has logged in and tested it,
> only to find that there are numerous places where the timeque's and some of
> the other options are not working to the standard. Also, at some point

The timequeues and such are due to certain things that FuzzBall (and my 
own NeonMuck, which also expereienced this problem when I ported it to 
Win95) expects to find but which are not in gnu-win32.  Foxen, I've cc'd 
this mail to you...we can meet up online some time and I can go over the 
ways I resolved timequeue issues in NeonMuck.  (ah, the wonders of #ifdef 
WINNT)

As for the socketing error, this I also experience as well.  It has to do 
with the way TinyMUCK (and TinyMUCKfb, and NeonMuck...) handles socket 
operations.  FD_ISSET does not work as it should, and instead will only 
handle one socket at a time.  I've been looking at other options for 
handling multiple connections, but the best bet is to hope that our 
friends at Cygnus manage to fix this error in b17, wheever it comes out 
(hint hint) or give us a patch for it in the meantime. :)

--Loki
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".