Subject: Re: FW: Re: wxwin port
From: [email-masked] (Bob Crispen)

12 Nov 1996 18:41:43 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.0 (Win95; I)
Original-To: Cesar Scarpini Rabak <[email-masked]>
Original-CC: Fabio Somenzi <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Cesar Scarpini Rabak wrote:

>At 04:19 10/11/96 -0700, Fabio Somenzi wrote:
>>->Does anyone have any input on why 16 bytes from gnu-win32 and
>>->14 for other compiler

>It is not an option for the command line of gcc but rather an extension
>of C language by GNU. Look in the docs for: "__attribute__((packed))"

Now you know why I like Ada: it puts stuff where you tell it.
The first compiler I saw that had the padding problem was the
C compiler that came with SunOS 4.0.3 for the SPARC.  I'm not
sure if there was a way to force "wrong" alignment with that
compiler, but good old Ada did it like a champ.  If you've
ever seen the disassembly of the RISC machine code you get
when you force a load from the "wrong" boundary, it looks
pretty amusing.

Bob Crispen
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".