Subject: Re: Default linker output filename
From: [email-masked] (David Jeffers)

10 Nov 1996 17:14:16 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: Fabio Somenzi <[email-masked]>
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Here's is my 2 cents:
Not many makefiles generate a.out. What I see most of the times is
extensionless names. For instance, the GNU confugure scripts normally
generate conftest. I typically patch the configure script. It's just one
line that needs to be changed. Still, it would be nice if it were
automated.

<snip>

If the .exe suffix were appended by the linker, the problem would only
be half-solved. For instance, that would turn real makefile targets into
phony ones. This would cause relinking even if the target is up-to-date.
Changing gmake to look for either foo or foo.exe seems a course fraught
with peril.

In summary, I'd vote for leaving things as they are. That is, a.out
remains a.out.

 Those of us having a Unix background as our prefered OS agree.
 The final executables generated are easily renamed with the
 .exe suffix, and, as stated above, easily identified after
 compilation since they are single word files with no
 extensions.

 After all, these are Unix tools, and I see no reason for
 any slavish appeal to Micro$oft culture.

-- 

    David Jeffers	    
<[email-masked]>   

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".