Subject: Linux/HP hosted win32 development environment setup?
From: [email-masked] (Mumit Khan)

9 Nov 1996 12:49:58 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

We have 2 large'ish packages that we distribute, written in a mixture
of C++, C and the GUI written as extended Tcl/Tk interpreter. What I
would like to do is add Win'95/NT platform to the list and hopefully
avoid using a Win'95/NT machine to do the porting. The GUI already 
works under '95/NT, but the rest of the code, about ~300K of C++/C,
is what I'm worried about. The pkgs already use GNU configure to create 
the makefiles,  so it'll be great to be able to simply build for win32
on a fast HP or even on my Ppro, w/out having to deal with booting
'95/NT.

Went through the mailing list archives and through the FAQ, and no clear
answer as to what it takes to build a cross compiler for cygwin32 target
under Linux (RH 4.0 if that matters). Somewhere in the docs it says that
the Cygnus developers use RedHat to do the actual development, and that
tells me that it's quite feasible. This is what I've done so far:
    
    1. get cdk-src.tar.gz and usertools-src.tar.gz (b16/latest)
    2. unpacked cdk-src.tar.gz
       
       % configure --host=i486-linux --target=i486-cygwin32

       Tells me that tcl, tk, expect, target-libgloss and gdb do not 
       support x-compiliation. I can live with that.
    3. Building as I write...

Do I need anything else other than these 2 source packages? I remember
pulling down libraries built on the target system (eg., libgcc1.a) when
building a hppa1.1-hp-hpux9.05 hosted i486-linux target as well as the
required startup files and so on. Looks like the CDK does have these
files, but I'm too much of a newbie to tell. What do I need to do 
complete development on Linux for cygwin32 target?

Suggestions, newbie pointers, your experience more than welcome.

Thanks in advance
mumit -- [email-masked]
http://www.xraylith.wisc.edu/~khan/
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".