Subject: EXE problems
From: [email-masked] (Patrick Doyle)

5 Nov 1996 12:46:46 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Hello all,

	One of the reasons I joined this list was to ask about the
problem in which GCC generates executables on WIN95 that cannot be
executed unless they are given an extension (.exe works the best :),
but any extension will do).  Lo and behold, I see that I am not the
only one who is experiencing this problem.  I have seen a several
proposals to solve this problem in the few days that I have been
following this list and I would like to add my $.02.

	I would propose that "ld" be modified to append an extension,
specified by an environment variable, to output executable files that
do not already have an extension.  This modification would be
compatible with other operating systems that do not differentiate file
types based solely on extensions.  What do folks think?  I would
propose to make the modification myself, but I don't have convenient
access to a cross development platform  on which to do the work.  (Boy
life will be easier once gnu-win32 is self hosting).

I have a few other questions if any kind souls wouldn't mind
answering:

1) It appears that the mailing list archive terminates at May 1,
1996.  Is there a newer archive somewhere?

2) Are there plans to merge the gnu-win32 modifications to binutils
and gcc into the standard distributions of these packages?

3) Are there notes available anywhere on how one would set up a cross
development platform on a LINUX box?

4) What still stands in the way of self hosting the tools and libraries?

-- 
-patrick
[email-masked]

Happiness is a Star Trek rerun I've never seen before.
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".