Subject: Re: GNU-WIN/32 on international versions of Windows
From: [email-masked] (Neil Readshaw)

5 Nov 1996 11:01:00 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.0Gold (WinNT; I)
Original-To: Roland Orre <[email-masked]>
Original-CC: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Roland,

We talked earlier about your experiences with GNU-WIN/32 and the 
Swedish version of Windows.  I've now completed the majority of my
localization effort, which versions running in Japanese, Korean and
two Chinese encodings, but 1 problem remains.

If I have a resource such as a dialog box with some labels, entry
fields, 
etc, any labels that are not in English do not come out properly.  It 
appears that each byte is trying to be represented as a character, not
single byte character sets.  I am not sure the exact nature of this 
problem, or what to do next.  I was wondering if you had included 
resources in any applications that you had built with the GNU stuff.

I have tried putting the resources into True Type as well as the older
style font types, like MS Sans Serif, both of which are supported in 
the Japanese Windows I am working with.  A wierd thing is that on 
another machine, I am trialling a product called Union Way (available
on the Web), which puts a layer on English Windows to givw an Asian
language environment.  On this setup, it works fine ??

I am using Gunther Ebert's RCL program to put the resources into my
executable.  Perhaps there is some problem here - I am not sure.  I 
am not sure which version of rcl.exe I am using, but the file size
is 173264 bytes.  Perhaps I need a newer version ?

I have even tried changing the text labels in dialogs during the
WM_INITDIALOG message, using SetWindowText or SetDlgItemText API
calls, but the result is the same, so I fear that the problem is 
related to the resources inside the executable, rather that something
at the display end.

Any ideas anyone ?

Thanks in advance,
Neil.

PS Please reply via direct email as I seem to have trouble with the
   mailing list at times.

-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Neil Readshaw                                Phone: +1 408 457 4510
DASCOM Inc.                                  Fax:   +1 408 457 0710
1509 Seabright Avenue                        Email: [email-masked]
Santa Cruz CA 95062                          WWW: http://www.dascom.com/
------------------------------------------------------------------------
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".