Subject: Re: getting Perl5 to compile under gnu-win32
From: [email-masked] (Fabio Somenzi)

3 Nov 1996 14:06:17 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

->> I just found a similar problem with a package that has both Makefile and
->> makefile. gnu-win32 tar concatenates the two files.
->> As for bash, I found that if I did
->>    cp Makefile makefile
->> I would only get makefile and that file would be empty. As in the case of
->> Perl's Configure, this was not a blocking problem (I still had my tar file),
->> but, in my ignorance, I don't understand why this happens.
->Getting a separate Makefile and makefile is either in the FAQ or the
->release notes.

It's in the FAQ. Thanks for pointing it out. Still, I think the cp
problem is somewhat distinct. If I do "cp a.file a.file" I get the
message:

cp: `a.file' and `a.file' are the same file.

Hence, a.file and A.file are different for cp, but are the same for
Windows. I guess converting both filenames to uppercase before checking if
they are the same would not hurt.

On a different subject. Has anyone had problems with setbuf?
I have a program that calls setbuf(stdin,NULL) and setbuf(stdout,NULL)
to make a (b)yacc/bison parser work over a pipe. It works well under
Linux, Solaris, and SunOS, regardless of whether the input comes from
the terminal or the pipe. Under Win95, all goes well if I don't call
setbuf, but then I can't use the pipe.

Finally, in my posting o yesterday, I mentioned generic "floating point
problems" in one program I compiled. I can now add the problem is with
atan2. I believe this is a known problem.

Fabio
--
Fabio Somenzi          | Phone: 303-492-3466
University of Colorado | Fax:   303-492-2758
ECE Dept.              | Email: [email-masked]
Boulder CO 80309-0425  | WWW:   http://vlsi.colorado.edu/~fabio
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".