Subject: Re: getting Perl5 to compile under gnu-win32
From: [email-masked] (Fabio Somenzi)

2 Nov 1996 22:53:35 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

->The ./Configure script had some trouble unpacking as well, as there is
->both ./configure and ./Configure. Both gnu-win32 tar and winzip95.exe
->had trouble with the upper/lower case name collision. However if you un
->tar it explicitly some place else and then cp it, they both can exist in
->the same dir. These two files did still throw bash's name completion for
->a loop though - it would not complete on either one.

I just found a similar problem with a package that has both Makefile and
makefile. gnu-win32 tar concatenates the two files.
As for bash, I found that if I did
   cp Makefile makefile
I would only get makefile and that file would be empty. As in the case of
Perl's Configure, this was not a blocking problem (I still had my tar file),
but, in my ignorance, I don't understand why this happens.

Another thing I found: gcc's option -fpic caused linking to report
unresolved references. Maybe this is a trivial omission of some linking
flag. However, under Linux, the package builds without problems with
-fpic.

Eventually the program was built correctly, but it does not run
correctly because of the well-known problems with floating point.
Specifically, it produces a PostScript file in which a coordinate is
NaN. I compiled without any optimization.

BTW, the program in question is called "dot", is from ATT (free of
charge for non-commercial use), and is a graph layout program.

->also got a number of <no queue slots!> messages when trying to rm -rf.

This is reportedly solved in b17 if I remember correctly. In the
meanwhile, the fix is to do a chmod +w for all files before
invoking rm -rf.

Fabio
--
Fabio Somenzi          | Phone: 303-492-3466
University of Colorado | Fax:   303-492-2758
ECE Dept.              | Email: [email-masked]
Boulder CO 80309-0425  | WWW:   http://vlsi.colorado.edu/~fabio
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".