Subject: Re: getting Perl5 to compile under gnu-win32
From: [email-masked] (Joe Marzot)

2 Nov 1996 15:32:03 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: Joe Marzot <[email-masked]>
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: Joe Marzot's message of 01 Nov 1996 11:14:49 -0500
X-Mailer: Gnus v5.2.2/Emacs 19.31
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Well, I started some work on this with b16 on a NT4.0 system and here is
what I found so far.

after getting perl5.003_07.tar.gz unpacked I saw that

hints/aux.sh

could not be created. I am guessing this has something to do with NT as
I could not create a file with this name from the NT command prompt.

The MANIFEST file had to be tweaked to get around that one but aux.sh is
non-essential here so no-matter.

The ./Configure script had some trouble unpacking as well, as there is
both ./configure and ./Configure. Both gnu-win32 tar and winzip95.exe
had trouble with the upper/lower case name collision. However if you un
tar it explicitly some place else and then cp it, they both can exist in
the same dir. These two files did still throw bash's name completion for
a loop though - it would not complete on either one.

then I had to make sure awk and find were around in places that
../Configure were looking for it.

then I discovered what appears to be a problem with bash's 'read'
command. essentially

bash$ read ans

leaves a <cr> (no <lf>) in $ans.

this caused all queries from ./Configure to go
haywire.

I tried fiddling with the value of IFS to see if this would get read to
leave the <cr> out but no luck.

Sorry if this is a known problem but I thought it would help to report
it.

also got a number of <no queue slots!> messages when trying to rm -rf.

One other question: Why did the dir structure change to the less
familiar (to me) /cygnus/H-i386-cygwin32...as opposed to /usr /usr/local
etc.?

-GSM
--
 Giovanni S. Marzot <[email-masked]>   Senior Software Engineer
 Bay Networks Inc.                              Network Management Development
--

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".