Subject: Re: b17 on the horizon?
From: [email-masked] (Geoffrey Noer)

1 Nov 1996 03:39:02 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Content-Type: text
Original-To: [email-masked] (Mike Krell)
Original-Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked] (Geoffrey Noer)
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]> from "Mike Krell" at Oct 30, 96 02:12:17 pm
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.4 PL23]
Content-Length: 2596      
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

> Last I heard, b17 was going to be released "soonish."  Any idea when it
> might be forthcoming?
>
>      Mike                                    [email-masked]

I'm going to release beta 17 as soon as a few serious outstanding problems
are fixed (I want g++ to work better than it did in beta 16 for example).
I was originally expecting this week but that's not going to happen.  :-(
I still expect to have it out relatively soon.

To keep people up to date on what we've done since beta 16, following this
message is a list of some of the most significant recent changes that
should make it into beta 17.

-- 
Geoffrey Noer
[email-masked]

Some future-beta-17 status/changes:

It is now possible to rebuild the tools natively under x86 NT when
the full Cygnus Developers' Kit (CDK) and the User Tools are both
installed correctly.

Changes in specific tools::

Gcc now links by default against -lkernel32 and also against
-luser32 -lgdi32 -lcomdlg32 when mwindows is set.

Dlltool has patches to make it better handle the -ssubsystem argument
that allows choosing console vs. GUI among other options.
ld has been changed to have a much larger stack reserve size.  This
is necessary when rebuilding the toolchain natively under NT.

The C++ headers can now be found given a correctly set GCC_EXEC_PREFIX
environment variable.

Cygwin32 API changes:

Scott Christley's headers and def files for the standard Win32 dlls
have been integrated.  Anything present only in the previous Cygnus headers
has been added in the appropriate places.  This should make Win32
programming much easier.

Select has been rewritten from scratch.  The new one can deal with
all sockets, handles and sockets always ready, all handles.  Handles
and sockets with timeout not implemented yet.  Select now does
blocking and doesn't spin cpu.

File handling has been largely rewritten:
The fhandler array has been moved into local memory instead of shared
memory.  This makes a number of things behave better.  Lots of changes
to support this.  There is now fairly complete ansi/vt100 console support.
Some new file locking support has been added.  Arrow keys are now
supported.

Process handling much improved.

Significant serious bugs in fork fixed.

The system call now works.

Unlink now chmods read-only files to writable
before attempting to delete a file.  This fixes the outstanding problem
where rm can't delete read-only files saying "out of queue slots"
repeatedly.

Text mode read has been rewritten.

New syslog code allows logging to event log under NT, file under Win 95.

Symlinks are enabled.

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".