Subject: Re: TeX implementations?
From: [email-masked] (Murray Todd Williams)

28 Oct 1996 11:49:46 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.0Gold (X11; I; Linux 2.0.0 i586)
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Fabio Somenzi wrote:
> ->If the answer to the above question is "no", then would anybody be
> ->interested if I tried to get it set up and wrote a tiny FAQ about it?
> ->(In essence, would anybody have a decent place to stash a FAQ if I wrote
> ->it?)
> 
> The FAQ may be a good idea. Maybe Cygnus is the right place. Or you can set
> it up at your site, and have people rely on search engines.
> 
> Fabio

You know, this is the weird thing about the Cygnus gnu-win32: many of
the frequently found GNU packages (emacs, TeX) are already implemented,
but not under the Cygnus framework, I imagine because gnu-win32 is still
so young.  With the EMX (gnu-OS/2) stuff, most all the common GNU
programs were all done with EMX.  I was also reading on the web pages
about a couple other attempts at UNIX-Win32 translations.  There are
supposedly two different implementations of TeX for Win32 and neither is
done via Cygnus gnu-win32.

Of course, the Cygnus version seems the most valid of an approach since
the present goal is porting the GCC compiler which is at the heart of
the GNU effort.

So if I were to write up a FAQ about installation, etc. of mikTeX and
NTemacs (and most of all, I'd like to put together a good thorough FAQ
for getting, installing, and running the GCC compiler) where would be
the best place to have it posted?

I guess while I'm at it, does anyone know of documentation for the GCC
stuff?  I went to the ftp location, installed one.zip through five.zip,
set my path to point to the main bin directory, set the GCC_EXEC_PREFIX
variable, ran "gcc -o hello.exe hello.cc -lstdc++ -I/cygnus/include/g++"
got a file HELLO.EXE created, tried to run the program, and got some
error about how NT couldn't run the executable.  I hear of demo programs
to compile, but I can't find any examples in the one.zip - five.zip
archives.

A FAQ on installing and testing GCC might be important if we want to
attract people to the gnu-win32 effort.  I'm willing to write (as soon
as I can figure it all out) if there's anyplace to post.

Murray Todd Williams
Colorado State University
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".