Subject: Re: TeX implementations?
From: [email-masked] (Fabio Somenzi)

28 Oct 1996 09:08:58 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Cc: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

->Has any work been done on porting an implementation of TeX to the
->gnu-win32 platform?  If not, I know that EMTeX is written primarily for
->OS/2, but can be run under DOS and old Win 3.1.  Has anyone had good or
->bad luck getting it set up and running under NT/95?  I know the DOS
->implementation involves running some funny memory-management tools.

I have successfully installed miktex (found in the Vitual Unix page:
http://www/itribe.net/virtunix).  The only piece missing was bibtex. I
got Kempson's version from the CTAN and compiled it with gnu-win32 on my
win95 laptop.  All works well. The gnu-win32 home page has the details
of how I did that.  (Where it describes packages ported by other people
with the help of the cygnus port.) Other sites of interest are:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost for GSview
    (postscript preview and printing)
http://www.ph.unimelb.edu.au/ipc/textbook/world/dviview.html
    (dvi preview and printing)

One caveat: if you use ntemacs to write your .tex files, and you call
latex from within emacs (C-c C-f) you have to remember to explicitly
exit the shell emacs starts to run latex. In my case, I have problems
shutting down Windows if I forget. In practice, I normally run latex and
dvips in a stand-alone bash window.

I haven't installed the dvi previewer. I'm happily using GSview so far.
The dvi previewer would make for quicker turnaround, but I'm afraid---
from a quick reading of the installation instructions---it would also
create a second copy of the fonts. And I'm not previewing often enough
to be willing at this point to invest the extra time.  Maybe later.

->If the answer to the above question is "no", then would anybody be
->interested if I tried to get it set up and wrote a tiny FAQ about it? 
->(In essence, would anybody have a decent place to stash a FAQ if I wrote
->it?)

The FAQ may be a good idea. Maybe Cygnus is the right place. Or you can set
it up at your site, and have people rely on search engines.

Fabio
--
Fabio Somenzi          | Phone: 303-492-3466
University of Colorado | Fax:   303-492-2758
ECE Dept.              | Email: [email-masked]
Boulder CO 80309-0425  | WWW:   http://vlsi.colorado.edu/~fabio
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".