Subject: TeX implementations?
From: [email-masked] (Murray Todd Williams)

27 Oct 1996 09:18:43 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: [email-masked]
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Mailer: Mozilla 3.0 (WinNT; I)
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Has any work been done on porting an implementation of TeX to the
gnu-win32 platform?  If not, I know that EMTeX is written primarily for
OS/2, but can be run under DOS and old Win 3.1.  Has anyone had good or
bad luck getting it set up and running under NT/95?  I know the DOS
implementation involves running some funny memory-management tools.

If the answer to the above question is "no", then would anybody be
interested if I tried to get it set up and wrote a tiny FAQ about it? 
(In essence, would anybody have a decent place to stash a FAQ if I wrote
it?)

I know the common response when people ask "is xxx ported yet" is "why
don't you do it yourself?"  Maybe I'll give it a shot, but I really have
to get my thesis written first.  Any volunteers to work on the project? 
TeX is rather neat in that it's written in WEB, some "virtual Pascal"
and so a porting effort first involves porting a Web-to-C device and
then making TeX.  Seeing that Emberhard Mattes did this port for the
"EMX" gnu-os2 platform, I don't imagine a gnu-win32 being all that
different.

Murray Todd Williams
Dept. of Statistics
Colorado State University
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".