Subject: DirectDraw
From: [email-masked] (Colin Peters)

23 Oct 1996 22:45:42 -0700
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-CC: [email-masked]
In-reply-to: Rich Drewes's message of Tue, 22 Oct 1996 23:56:45 +0000 () <[email-masked]>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

> Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 23:56:45 +0000 ()
> From: Rich Drewes <[email-masked]>
> 
> Can anyone comment on the feasibility of accessing the DirectDraw API 
> from gnu-win32?  Is this a now kind of thing, a someday kind of thing, or 
> a never kind of thing?

I'd say it's a now-ish someday kind of thing. I don't think the DirectDraw
API functions are included in any import libraries with GNU-Win32, but,
if you could create the .def file then you could get the import library
real quick like.

A bigger problem would be appropriate header files. That's a real someday
kind of thing (I think). OTOH if you already have the headers from some
SDK or something then no problem. (Or you can write them yourself... *:O)

I don't think there are many inherent difficulties in using the gcc stuff
with new Mircosoft APIs. There is the current thunking weirdness with DLL
calls, but that will (I hope) go away someday. There is also the different
name-mangling schemes for GNU, but Borland also uses different name
mangling. It just means that DLL exports have to be extern "C" (sigh).

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe the DirectDraw API is really wacked out and you can
only use it with MS compilers, but I would be suprised.

Colin.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Colin Peters ------------ Saga Univ. Dept. of Information Science, Saga, JAPAN
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/home.html - [email-masked]
コリン ピーターズ - 佐賀大学理工学部情報科学科情報基礎学講座
                    - Current favorite kanji: 晴れ 芝生 -

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".