Subject: Re: No CPP in cygwin32 for NT
From: [email-masked] ("Jim Taylor")

17 Oct 1996 21:13:58 -0700
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
Comments: Authenticated sender is <[email-masked]>
Original-To: Steve Willer <[email-masked]>
Original-CC: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
        [email-masked]
X-mailer: Pegasus Mail for Win32 (v2.42a)
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

HELLO,

	Steve, thank you for your suggestion.  IT WORKED LIKE A CHARM!
I love it when things finally "click"!

	The simple things I am writing compile directly from the DOS 
box command line with either;
	gcc  string1.c -o string1.exe           or
           C++ string1.c -o string1.exe
	No switches needed at this point, which surprises the hell out 
of me.  

	Re Borland, did some checking and their  Version 4.5 and up 
apparently supports the HP  STL.   AT least version 4.5 
definitely does!  Will keep it in mind as soon as I get some sheckels 
together to pay for it.
           Came across two references to MSVC's latest.  one 
said it did support it, the other said there was a glitch.  
Anyway from what I can see, Borland's is the less pricey.
	Now that this works though, maybe I'll spend the money on a 
manual from Cygnus, (If one exists), that will give me a better 
sense of where all the pieces fit
          I did exactly as you suggested, put the directory 
structure back the way the Cygnus "note" said to set it up, 
under  C:\cygnus.  Then added the  C:/bin with sh.exe and 
bash.exe in it.  Log to it before trying anything.  Your "Set"s
for the Autoexec.bat apparently were the final key.
         Thank you !

	To others who have touched on various other points I have 
been puzzeled about;

Regarding  INFO  and MAN;
	I managed to ferret out the following, taking a tip from Mr. 
Noer, and checking out DJGPP's site as follows.  If one  uses 
any of the following though, I suspect he'd have to be careful 
to install them in such a manner that they could be "ripped out" 
to make way for whatever eventually replaces them in cygwin32?

    The information below is
    lifted from D.J. Delorie's DJGPP docs. (Thanks are
    due!)

    The DJGPP site is at;
http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/

"    
  a. Use the stand-alone `Info' reader.    

     Get the file txi360b.zip, e.g.
ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/gnu/djgpp/v2gnu/txi360b.zip,
     which includes `INFO.EXE' and its' docs.  Unzip it and run
     `Info.' It will bring up a (hopefully) self-explanatory
     online help system.  Confused? Press `?' to see the list of
     all Info commands. Still confused?  Press `h' to have `Info'
     take you on a guided tour through its commands and features.

  b. Use the `Info' command of your favourite Emacs-like editor.

     If you use Emacs, you already know about `Info.'  
     (What's that?  You don't?  
     Type `C-h i' and you will get the top-level menu of all the
     Info topics.) 
"

Note from jtaylor:  An item called "MicroEmacs" apparently 
supports Win95's  long file names and spaces in file names, and 
(maybe) will tie in with Cygwin32???  Don't know if I'd trust using 
spaces in names though.   Will let you know what happens.
Have to figure out how I can try it out and still "rip it out" 
easily later.

THIS NEXT ITEM HAS BEEN LIFTED VERBATIM FROM DJGPP!
Again, my thanks.  - sgd. Jim Taylor
The DJGPP site is at;
http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/

"5.2 How to read the docs without `Info?'
========================================

    **Q*: I'm too old/lazy/busy to learn yet another browser, and
    I despise uGNUsable programs like Emacs.  How in the world
    can I read the DJGPP docs??* 

    *A* :  Info files are almost plain ASCII files, so you 
    should be able to browse them with your favourite text 
    file browser or editor.  You will lose the hypertext 
    structure and you might have hard time finding the 
    next chapter (hint: look up the name of the Next node 
    at the  beginning of" the "node, then use the search 
    commands of the browser, or the Grep program, to find 
    that name), but other than that you will see all the 
    text.

    Anthony Appleyard <[email-masked]> has 
    translated the Info files for GNU C/C++ Compiler 
    (`gcc.iNN') and GNU C Preprocessor (`cpp.iNN') into 
    ISO-8859 (aka plain ASCII), and Stephen Turnbull 
    <[email-masked]> has made them available on
    his anonymous ftp and WWW server.  You can get them as
    `gcc.txt' and `preprocessor.txt' by anonymous ftp, 

e.g. 
ftp://turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/pub/djgpp/doc/; 

    or get them with your Web browser, at this URL:

http://turnbull.sk.tsukuba.ac.jp/pub/djgpp/doc/ 

    You can also produce pure ASCII files yourself, if you 
    have their Texinfo sources.  These are usually called 
    `*.txi' or `*.tex' and should be included with the source
    distribution of every package.  To produce an ASCII file
    `foo.txt' from the Texinfo file `foo.txi', invoke the
    `Makeinfo' program like this: 

makeinfo --no-split --no-headers --output foo.txt foo.txi 

    The `Makeinfo' program is part of the Texinfo distribution
    which is available in txi360b.zip, 
e.g. 
ftp://ftp.simtel.net/pub/simtelnet/gnu/djgpp/v2gnu/txi360b.zip. 
....   "

End of excerpt from DJGPP!

I notice that in a pinch,  using cat with a single file name 
will list a file for you, but the Ctrl-S and Ctrl-Q which are 
supposed to pause and resume the listing are often blithely 
ignored by Win95.  I've had better luck with the pause key.

	Well, before Mr. Noer raps my knuckles for cluttering up his 
development mail list with Newbie nonsense, I'd like to thank 
Steve and all those who helped.  I appreciate it greatly.  Will 
keep quiet for awhile now while I bang on my new toy's. ;-)

Regards, 

Jim Taylor  -  [email-masked]

> From:          Steve Willer <[email-masked]>
> To:            Jim Taylor <[email-masked]>
> Cc:            Jeff Bronte <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> Subject:       Re: No CPP in cygwin32 for NT

> 
> On Wed, 16 Oct 1996, Jim Taylor wrote:
> 
> > .bashrc).  These problems follow from my current lack of 
> > knowledge   
>  > ...
> This is what I did:
> 
> a) created a "cygnus" directory on my C: drive
> b) unpacked the archive into there (using b18)
> c) created a "bin" directory off root on my C: drive
> d) copied "sh.exe" from cygnus\h-i386-cygwin32\bin to \bin
> e) changed my autoexec.bat so that c:\bin was first in the path
>    and c:\cygnus\h-i386-cygwin32\bin is somewhere in the middle of the
>    path (it's up to you where you put it, but be sure to put
>    it before any other directory that has "make", like Borland C++)
> f) set these other environment variables:
> 
> GCC_EXEC_PREFIX=/cygnus/h-i386-cygwin32/lib/gcc-lib/
> C_INCLUDE_PATH=/cygnus/h-i386-cygwin32/i386-cygwin32/include
> CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=/cygnus/h-i386-cygwin32/i386-cygwin32/include:/cygnus/include/g++
> 
> That's it. That's all I did.
> ...
> ...
> Yep. You could always grab Borland C++ -- it's pretty up to spec on the 
> language (it's what I use at work when I'm not on Unix machines).
> 
> 

Recent comedian;  "You don't have to out run the bear, just 
out run your slowest friend."

--
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".