Subject: Problems with stat
From: [email-masked] (Keith Mason)

17 Oct 1996 20:29:35 -0700
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
X-Mailer: ELM [version 2.3 PL11]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

I've noticed two problems with stat, and I think they're related.

First, I saw the problem in ls.  All directory listings in an 'ls -l'
show the date as Jan 1 1970 (stat time is 0).

I have recently been playing around with Win95 NFS client software
from different companies.  One of them, from NCD, causes the return
structure from stat to always return 0 in the time fields, plus the
type is set to 8192 (unix character device).  This wouldn't be a
problem except that it confuses the hell out of 'make'.

Date and time from non-gnu 32-bit software seem to work OK, both on 
local and NFS drives, so I believe it's a stat problem, even though
it only occurs on this brand of NFS client.

I'd like to try and debug this myself, but I don't know how to
recompile cygwin32.dll.  Can anyone help, or does anyone know the
fix for this?

As a side note, since stat returns permissions for a regular file
to be a unix char device with all permissions off, rm gives the
usual 'remove `filename', overriding mode 0000? ' question, but
immediately skips back to the prompt without giving the opportunity
to answer 'yes'.  It only does this if called from bash, not from
COMMAND.COM.

  -- Keith
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".