Subject: Minimalist GNU-Win32
From: [email-masked] (Colin Peters)

16 Oct 1996 23:50:45 -0700
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-CC: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Some time ago I mentioned that I was working on getting GCC as distributed
by Cygnus decoupled from the cygwin.dll library so I could write new,
non-UNIX-flavoured Win32 programs using GCC.

The fruits of my efforts, up to now, are located at the following page:

  http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/mingw32.html

There is a link there to a tarred and gzipped file (mingw32-0.1.0.tar.gz 
82 Kbytes) containing:

 * Instructions on the minimal executables and librarys you need to get
   GCC to run on your system, plus hints on setting up your environment
   so that you can compile.

 * Source and object code for a crt0.o that does not depend on cygwin.dll,
   this is the startup code that calls main/WinMain in your program.

 * Source and a library libmingw32.a that makes it possible to write programs
   using WinMain or main entry points.

 * An import library libcrtdll.a and the .def file used to create it that
   give you access to the standard C run time library that came with Windows
   95 and NT: CRTDLL.DLL (you don't need to distribute a DLL with your code).

 * The C run time library header files (stdlib.h, stdio.h and so on) set up
   to work with CRTDLL.DLL.

 * A 'specs' file that configures GCC to include the appropriate libraries
   and defines.

The header files are preliminary, and a lot of work remains to be done (hint
hint), but you can produce working, useful programs with this stuff. For
example, I have managed to port Jam (a make replacement) over to this
environment with only a little work. With a little more work on the header
files Jam, and other similarly portable programs, should compile and run with
no changes at all.

Finally, everything that I have written in there is public domain code (for
reasons I briefly discuss in the package itself).

If you are interested, and especially if you use it and find areas that need
fixing or improvement (I know there are lots), then please drop me an email
at [email-masked].

Colin.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Colin Peters ------------ Saga Univ. Dept. of Information Science, Saga, JAPAN
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/home.html - [email-masked]
コリン ピーターズ - 佐賀大学理工学部情報科学科情報基礎学講座
                    - Current favorite kanji: 晴れ 芝生 -

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".