Subject: Re: No CPP in cygwin32 for NT
From: [email-masked] (Steve Willer)

16 Oct 1996 22:53:13 -0700
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <Pine.SUN.3.91.961017011450.27990A-100000.cygnus.gnu-win32@sqrex>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
X-Sender: willer@sqrex
Original-To: Jim Taylor <[email-masked]>
Original-cc: Jeff Bronte <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

On Wed, 16 Oct 1996, Jim Taylor wrote:

> .bashrc).  These problems follow from my current lack of 
> knowledge and a proper "overview" of what the set-up layout 
> should be.   

This is what I did:

a) created a "cygnus" directory on my C: drive
b) unpacked the archive into there (using b18)
c) created a "bin" directory off root on my C: drive
d) copied "sh.exe" from cygnus\h-i386-cygwin32\bin to \bin
e) changed my autoexec.bat so that c:\bin was first in the path
   and c:\cygnus\h-i386-cygwin32\bin is somewhere in the middle of the
   path (it's up to you where you put it, but be sure to put
   it before any other directory that has "make", like Borland C++)
f) set these other environment variables:

GCC_EXEC_PREFIX=/cygnus/h-i386-cygwin32/lib/gcc-lib/
C_INCLUDE_PATH=/cygnus/h-i386-cygwin32/i386-cygwin32/include
CPLUS_INCLUDE_PATH=/cygnus/h-i386-cygwin32/i386-cygwin32/include:/cygnus/include/g++

That's it. That's all I did.

> I have to get a working C environment that will handle templates 
> before we hit "templates" in the C/C++ course I am taking.

If all you care about is templates, you could always grab an updated
compiler that isn't in beta (MSVC, BC, whatever).

> I do have, and use, MSVC professional, ver. 1.5 for my immediate 
> needs.  (An interesting note on this is that it works much 
> better under Win-95 than it ever did under Win-3.1, which it was 
> designed for.)  What 1.5 calls templates however is not what the 
> course I am taking requires (apparently).

Yep. You could always grab Borland C++ -- it's pretty up to spec on the 
language (it's what I use at work when I'm not on Unix machines).
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".