Subject: double byte handling
From: [email-masked] (Colin Peters)

16 Oct 1996 22:36:48 -0700
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-CC: [email-masked]
In-reply-to: Tsuyoshi Takahashi's message of Thu, 17 Oct 1996 03:36:53 -0700 <[email-masked]>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

> Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 03:36:53 -0700
> From: Tsuyoshi Takahashi <[email-masked]>
> 
> Recently I found your project and download the programs. I tried them on
> my NT PC and found several things which are not met in using Japanese
> environment.
> 
> Are there any way to recomplie or get sources to enhance the
> functionality to meet our language enviroment?

Hmm... that might be wide character support in filenames and such, right?
That kind of support would take a major effort I think, in rewriting the
GNU tools to handle it.

On the other hand, if you want to write programs which use wide character
functions you might want to look at the header files for "CRTDLL.DLL",
the run time library included with Windows NT and 95, that I have put
into my "Minimalist GNU-Win32" package. You can download it from
"http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/mingw32.html".

It's aimed at writing small Win32 applications with no dependencies on
CYGWIN.DLL or anything else that didn't come with the operating system,
but it might help you as well, or you may be able to work the parts you
need into a full Cygnus-type installation.

If you want to use multi-byte characters the functions are in CRTDLL.DLL
but I haven't prototyped them yet (mainly because I've never used them
and don't know how they should be set up). If you look at my efforts and
have some advice please email me at the address given in my signature.

Colin.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Colin Peters ------------ Saga Univ. Dept. of Information Science, Saga, JAPAN
http://www.fu.is.saga-u.ac.jp/~colin/home.html - [email-masked]
コリン ピーターズ - 佐賀大学理工学部情報科学科情報基礎学講座
                    - Current favorite kanji: 晴れ 芝生 -

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".