Subject: Motif on NT? (was Re: wintif)
From: bmodra@gemma (Brian Modra)

16 Oct 1996 18:04:31 -0700
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
References: <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: Brian Modra <[email-masked]>
Original-To: [email-masked]
In-Reply-To: <[email-masked]>
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Henrik Geleff writes:
 > Sorry to disappoint you, but wintif is a (set of) librari(es) for UNIX,
 > that in cooperation with a Windows based X-window server can display an
 > application actually running on a UNIX box.
 > 
 > I.e. it is never going to link with GNU-WIN32 !!!
Thanks for that vital advice! I've also been advised to use
Nutcracker. I had looked at that, but I would rather do a native port
than use another proprietary toolkit like Nutcracker. My reason for
wanting to use GNU WIN32 is mainly because my application extensively
uses templates and inheritance in C++. I've heard that other C++
compilers have lots of gotcha's when using templates and
inheritance. Even the proprietary UNIX C compilers are difficult to
port to. g++ certainly has many advantages when it comes to
retargeting. 
The application has X11/Motif calls, but these could be replaced with
another toolkit easily enough (tk?). Perhaps I could just link with an
X11 client library, and run an X server on NT? Changing all the
libraries to conform to say, VC++, is what I'm mostly trying to avoid.
I've also been warned that GNU WIN32 is not yet "production quality" -
does that mean that if I compile my application that it will be
unreliable, or does it mean there are merely some gotcha's for me
while I'm compiling and configuring things?
Any advice will be appreciated.
Bye

-- 
Brian Modra, Contracted Software Engineer from AMRAD Pty Ltd
DENR, South Australian Government, 5th floor Chesser House,
91-97 Grenfell St, Adelaide, SA 5000, Australia
Email: [email-masked], Ph: 61 8 82049060, Fax: 61 8 82049017

Unless explicitly attributed, the opinions expressed are personal
and not those of DENR or the South Australian Government.
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".