Subject: Re: No CPP in cygwin32 for NT
From: [email-masked] ("Jim Taylor")

16 Oct 1996 15:48:45 -0700
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
Comments: Authenticated sender is <[email-masked]>
Original-To: Jeff Bronte <[email-masked]>
Original-CC: [email-masked]
X-mailer: Pegasus Mail for Win32 (v2.42a)
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Hello,

Thank you for taking the trouble to reply.

On checking 
http://www.ssc.com
re their "What's LInux" and "Distribution Configurations Table" 
I see that Linux is apparently a Unix system, and from what I 
can see installing it would drastically change my basic machine 
set up.  It would involve me in replacing my Win-95 operating system, 
complete with involvement in obtaining drivers, and all kinds of 
other related extra work.

My immediate need is for a version of C/C++ that will handle 
templates, and GNU will do that with its compatibility with HP 
STL.  I need something that will more or less co-operate with 
Win-95.

Since stumbling across Mr. Noer's endeavours, I have become more 
and more intrigued with his approach and strategy and now just 
have to find some way to get up the learning curve and over the 
hump.

GNU WIN32 is "almost working" on my machine at this point.  I'm 
sure the problems I'm having are mainly my own "Finger Problems" 
in my not setting the right directory structure, not configuring 
the right 'pointer scripts' (or whatever you call the places 
where one sets things like SET_INCLUDE_PATH, .profile, or 
..bashrc).  These problems follow from my current lack of 
knowledge and a proper "overview" of what the set-up layout 
should be.   

I am slowly finding bits and pieces of the puzzle by going 
through the old mail list archives, faq's, etc. and will 
eventually get there.  However; going after Linux would involve 
starting at square one again, so I don't think that would serve 
me well at this point.

I have to get a working C environment that will handle templates 
before we hit "templates" in the C/C++ course I am taking.

I do have, and use, MSVC professional, ver. 1.5 for my immediate 
needs.  (An interesting note on this is that it works much 
better under Win-95 than it ever did under Win-3.1, which it was 
designed for.)  What 1.5 calls templates however is not what the 
course I am taking requires (apparently).

Thanks for the input though.

Regards, 

Jim Taylor  ( [email-masked] )

> Date:          Wed, 16 Oct 1996 09:15:48 -0700
> To:            "Jim Taylor" <[email-masked]>
> From:          Jeff Bronte <[email-masked]>
> Subject:       Re: No CPP in cygwin32 for NT

> My best advice is for you to delay using the 'work-in-progress' versions
> of gnu win32 and put Linux on your machine. It works out of the box,
> has all the tools you desire, and you can look at source code for 
> utilities and commands, even the kernel. It's the best!
> 
> Jeff Bronte
> ... 
> ...
> At 06:51 PM 10/15/96 +0000, you wrote:
> > ...
> > ...     
> > 	Please, would you do this?  Is there a way to encourage others 
> > ... 
> > ...
> 
My apologies if this turns out to be unsigned.  Am just starting 
to use Pegasus Mail app. and may not have it set right, yet.
--
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".