Subject: Re: No CPP in cygwin32 for NT
From: [email-masked] ("Jim Taylor")

15 Oct 1996 17:24:22 -0700
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7BIT
Comments: Authenticated sender is <[email-masked]>
Original-To: Paul Mu <[email-masked]>,
        Terence Ripperda <[email-masked]>
Original-CC: [email-masked]
X-mailer: Pegasus Mail for Win32 (v2.42a)
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Hello Paul and Terence,
     
	Please, would you do this?  Is there a way to encourage others 
to do so as well?
	I have been going nuts trying to get GNU WIN32 running right on
my DX2-66 486, 16 Megs Ram, about 8 or 9 hundred megs disk 
space. ( Compressed of course. )
	The thing that is so frustrating is that I've almost, BUT NOT 
QUITE, got it working.
	I've gone over the Faq(s). Checked out Osaka for anything 
different, Logged into even National Defence servers looking for 
more info.  I found Andreas' set up message which pointed me to 
a couple of things, and that is when it started "almost" 
working.
	If you could get something going, and it was anyway 
successful, I would be willing to do any "grunge" work that 
might be necessary, (or is it Possible on this type of 
"messaging"?)  to keep things collected under a heading such as;
( Possibly??  "NEWBIE PAIN". )
	However, it is not a trivial undertaking, for instance, if 
other "Newbie's" are as ignorant as I am then they are;
1.	Learning C at this time.
2.	Know next to nothing about Unix.
3.	Have no Familiarity with GNU details what all of you "experienced"
	users take for granted.

	FOR INSTANCE:
A.	I had no idea that a  .login or .bashrc was required for 
	bash.  Still haven't gotten it right.
b.	Andrea's message while helpful in pointing me in the right 
	direction, does not yield a working system if one has followed 
	the instructions for using C:\CYGNUS as a starting point on a 
	PC and setting the directory structure.
c.	Stumbled across need to Set Include Path.  Still haven't tried 
	it.
d.	Am used to relying on MSVC's version 1.5 "Project" menus for 
	help in keeping the compiler and "make" configuration switches 
	set up properly.  
e.	Have no idea where they go or how to use all the tools in GNU 
	Win32 but an egar to learn.
f.	Have bought UNIX books, such as;
	Introducing The Unix System, by Henry McGilton and Rachel 
	Morgan, but, while they are informative, are not much real help
	in getting GNU win32 up and running right.
g.	A large part of the problem is that newbie's like myself have 
	no "mental picture" of what a proper setup would even look 
	like, or respond like.  We've been conditioned to "key" on 
	"menus" and "features" sitting at the top of a graphics window, 
	and they don't exist (do they?) in GNU Win32?
h.	For instance, (I thing I'm right in this?)  I went only 
	slightly nuts trying to find a way to get (now don't laugh),
	INFO to work and list its files.   Until,  ( I think this is 
	right?) I sort of came to suspect that one needs EMACS editor 
	installed to list and view the "info" files????
i.	Same with "Man", I had come across references that Man was 
	always available as a help in Unix.  But how does one Access it 
	on a PC??
j.	Is it even feasible to run GNU win32 on a PC as configured 
	above?  16megs, 800megs disk space.?
k.	I realize GNU et al, and the community are not out there to 
	teach newcomers how to use it.  They have their own problems to 
	solve.  But if the more experienced of you would drop a helpful 
	note from time to time, and if the Newbies, such as myself, are 
	willing to overcome their shyness and pitch in a bit in posting 
	messages, questions, and eventually found solutions, to a 
	'COMMON SUBJECT TITLE", agreed upon by consent. AND If
	the host of this mail list doesn't find it objectional of 
	course, then do you think we can get something going on:
L.	At least a "topic list" of things that have to be set up, and 
	obtained, to get the "debug" version of the WIN32 download 
	working on a stand alone PC?
	Such things as:
1.	Make sure the cygwin.dll is in, and only in the ?????? 
	subdirectory.
2.	Make sure the following are in the ??????  ETC directory??
	a.  .bashrc ???   <----   What has to be in it.
	b.  .profile  ???  <----- What has to be in it.
	c.   On Win 95, does one have to fiddle with setting some sort 
	of "Dummy Network" drives on a stand alone PC.
3.	If you are going to install Cygnus Win32, MAKE SURE YOU 
	DOWNLOAD THEIR  unzip.exe.
4.	If you are going to install EMACS, make sure you download
	ALL their unzippers, un-gzippers, tar handler's etc.  SOME OF
	THEM HAVE DIFFERENT SIZES (notably the unzip.exe) and it
	may (or may not) handle the EMACS archives differently.
5.	GET TextPad or PFE and save source in Unix format when
	making "make" files, ".bashrc" files, etc.
6.  	What is usr, do you make an actual subdirectory, or do you
	mount your "root" path (is it C:\Cygnus?) as "/" .
7.	What is root? 
8.	Since I'm on a stand alone PC, how does one handle not
	having a network "home" path or "user" path?  Do I still
	have to configure some sort of /users subdirectory?

	As you can see I am still floundering around in the dark, but 
am willing to "pay for my supper" with grunge work if only 
someone will point us newbies in the right directions.

Any help available, or am I asking too much??

Regards,

( Jim Taylor    [email-masked] )

>
>
> From:          Terence Ripperda <[email-masked]>
> To:            Paul Mu <[email-masked]>
> Subject:       Re: No CPP in cygwin32 for NT
>
> obviously, there's lots of difficulty in setting up cygwin32 to
> run on win95/win nt platforms. a few problems are covered on the
> home page and in old mailing list archives, but there seems to
> constantly be people needing help. Perhaps we should all submit
> any problems we've had setting this up on our systems (no matter
> how obscure the error) and form a new faq on installing the
> software for newcomers..
> 
> Terence Ripperda
>  [email-masked]

--
[email-masked]
--
[email-masked]
-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".