Subject: Path handling problem (resent)
From: [email-masked] (David Makepeace)

14 Oct 1996 16:46:06 -0700
Sender: [email-masked]
Approved: [email-masked]
Distribution: cygnus
Message-ID: <[email-masked]>
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
X-Sender: [email-masked]
Original-To: [email-masked]
Original-Sender: [email-masked]

Sorry about sending this again - the mailer seems to have truncated my
first attempt...

There appears to be a problem with paths of the form //x where 'x' happens
to be the drive for the root directory - //d in my case.  Obviously this
is not a big problem since "cd /" works instead of "cd //d".

Using beta 16 on NT 3.51 (build 1057).

Has anyone else seen this?

| bash$ cd //c
| bash$ pwd
| /c
| bash$ cd //d
| bash$ pwd
| 
| bash$ mkdir test
| bash$ cd test
| bash$ pwd
| ./test
| bash$ cd ..
| bash$ pwd
| .
| bash$ ls
| bash$ mount
| Device           Directory           Type        Flags
| p:               /home               native      no-mixed,text!=binary
| g:               /g                  native      no-mixed,text!=binary
| \\.\tape1:       /dev/st1            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
| \\.\tape0:       /dev/st0            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
| \\.\b:           /dev/fd1            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
| \\.\a:           /dev/fd0            native      no-mixed,text!=binary
| r:               /cdrom              native      no-mixed,text!=binary
| c:               /c                  native      no-mixed,text!=binary
| d:               /                   native      no-mixed,text!=binary
| bash$

NOTES:
  The "cd //d" does nothing if the current directory is a directory on the
  same drive otherwise it changes the directory properly but "pwd" shows
  a null current directory.  If this happens then things start to get a
  bit confused.  (e.g. the "cd .." does not work.)

David.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
David Makepeace   Ph:  +61 7 3378 4299
KEAYS Software    Fax: +61 7 3378 7922   [email-masked]
---------------------------------------------------------------------

-
For help on using this list, send a message to
"[email-masked]" with one line of text: "help".